June 10-12, 2010

Martha's Vineyard Island

So much of the Northeast reminds me of the Northwest. It’s nice because I’m a little home sick and this is just the thing I needed. Especially the early morning and late night smell in the air. Martha’s Vineyard is very reminiscent of Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands northwest of Seattle.
For example:

Martha's Vineyard
Year Round Population: 1500
Square miles: 87
Population is summer: 7500
Fog: lots!
Traffic lights on island: 2
Ferries: White
Houses: Mostly gray and very large
Area Clams: Steamers
Food delicacy: Dungeness crabs

Orcas Island -
Year Round Population: 4900
Square miles: 57
Population in summer: swells but not nearly as big as Martha’s Vineyard
Fog: sometimes
Traffic lights on island: 0
Ferries: Green:
Houses: Mixed and most are modest
Area Clams: Gooeyduck
Food delicacy: Lobster



Also similar to Orcas, we had 2 days of dreary rain and 2 days of sunshine on the Vineyard. I’m so happy to be on either coast…the Northeast or the Northwest. When I’m gone too long I miss it.