September, 2010

Appleton, WI

September included a trip to visit family in Wisconsin.  My youngest brother Pat was having his wedding celebration and I also wanted to spend time with my 82 year old father.  
During my ten days there, I could literally see the changing of the seasons from summer to fall.  There were trees that had turned color with leaves already starting to fall on the ground.  Within a week!  It was amazing to witness.
Some of the many corn fields which will feed the cows during the winter which will produce milk and cheese.  I saw mostly corn fields with soy bean fields coming in second.
For me, this is a typical farm...a red barn on a slight incline for tractors to enter where hay is stored on the upper level.  Cows have their individual stalls on the lower level where they are milked at 5am and at 'supper' time.  ('Dinner' is the lunch time meal.)  
At St. Therese we went to mass six days a week Sunday through Friday plus catholic school.  
It wasn't until I visited Gothic churches in Europe that I realized that St. Therese catholic church was expensively designed and built after famous cathedrals in France and England.  Until that time, I thought it was a standard catholic church.
The church and school is on the right and the bakery donut shop is across the street.  We were encouraged not to eat breakfast until after mass.  So with six cents in our pocket, we could buy a chocolate or vanilla  'pershing' for breakfast.  This was supplemented with orange juice at school.  What a great breakfast for a hypoglycemic person!
They still make them.  See how you can twist it off in bites?
Pat with his bride Susie.  Pat's son Eric and his fiance Janelle.
Eric driving away in one of his future father-in-laws cars.  A great past time for many people is fixing up old cars and going to car shows and rallies.  My brother Glen has two antique tractors and my brother Pat has two collector cars and a collector pick up truck.  Next time I will have to take photos.  
All the kids except the oldest.  I'm the second oldest.  My brother Glen on the far right is 9 months younger than me.  When his friends meet me for the first time, I ask them if they can see the family resemblance.
 Clay is my dad.