Mid November 2012 
Musings in Kerala, India
*In this whole town, I’ve just seen 2 dogs, no cats, and only 1 person smoking a cigarette.

*Some men’s wear: To me, it looks like they just finished drying the dishes and then put the towel around their waist. Are you really going to walk around like that? They give me a similar look when I wear shorts that show my knees. They can show their knees but I can’t. Hmmm….

*Women’s wear: They wear gauzy, colorful, silky, flowing, color-coordinated, flyaway fabric draped around themselves. They look like beautiful, graceful angels.

*Playing with your food and eating with your fingers is permitted and encouraged.  The spoon in my purse is such a valuable thing to me. Eating with my right hand fingers just feels so yukky! (Indians don’t use silverware.) Napkins are valuable too. Often there are none on the table when I so desperately need them as a result of the spicy food which causes my nose to run.

*It feels a little claustrophobic when you can dress in a tank top and shorts in your room but I must cover up to go out. And it’s s nice and warm out that it’s a drag to put on pants and a long sleeve shirt. An Indian friend visited me in my room and as he left, he closed my door in case someone would see me in short and a tank top. My fitted sport tee-shirts also get stares because you can see the shape of my body.

*Using the bathroom with no toilet paper takes some getting used to. I think I’m going to look that technique up on the internet because I don’t think I have the hang of it yet.

*The author Salman Rushdie noted that Americans are often looking for 'frontiers', while in India, they are often looking for 'truth'in the mountains of forms to b filled out.  That sounds about right to me.